Can you taste a feeling? This is probably the question the folks at Starbucks asked when they decided to create a now famously loved beverage known as the Pumpkin Spice Latte. Just the name alone serves as a reminder of things we love – spices, coffee, sugar, and as a reference to the festivals the pumpkin connotes – Thanksgiving and Halloween.
The combination of a pie and coffee is hardly revolutionary. It’s the complex concoction of a humble taste preference perfected into a cup of decadence that makes the Pumpkin Spice Latte a worldwide phenomenon. One can also argue that it’s elusiveness and temporary annual appearance is what makes it interesting. And naturally, the taste itself. The spice flavor is a mixture of nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and cloves—all spices that humans have enjoyed in their food for a long time. Combine that with the daily coffee ritual and you’ve mixed two traditions to form a new and delicious one!
Whether you’re already a fan of the drink or are intrigued to try it for the first time, we’ve got you covered with 2 recipe options – a hot latte and a spiced cold brew.
Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 1 cup milk – substitute with almond or coconut if you’d like
- 2tbsp pumpkin puree – homemade/packaged
- Sugar (as per taste)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spices – find pumpkin pie spice at the store or make it at home by mixing 1.5 tbsp ground cinnamon + 2 tsp ground ginger + half tsp ground nutmeg + a pinch of ground cloves
- Coffee – the stronger, the better
- Heat all the ingredients together except the coffee in a pot on the stove to prepare your pumpkin spice milk.
- Prepare your coffee black in a separate pot.
- Combine the spice milk with the coffee. Keep a ratio of half a cup of coffee to 1 cup of spice milk.
- Top it off with whipped cream and a sprinkle of the spice and enjoy!
- Make a more frothy version of this by replacing milk with heavy cream. Froth the cream before adding in the coffee by using a blender.
Pumpkin Spice Cold Brew
- Follow our Easiest Cold Brew recipe or purchase cold brew drip bags/coffee blends from our website.
- Prepare the pumpkin spice milk or cream from the steps in the above recipe.
- Pour the cold brew coffee into a tall glass with ice.
- Top it off and mix with your preferred amount of spiced milk or cream.
- Dust with a pinch of pumpkin spice mix and you’re done!
Fun Fact: While PSL was popularized by Starbucks, it was eventually adopted by other brands and also into other product spin-offs such as candles, air fresheners and even Pumpkin Spice hair colour!
Check out a technical and thorough video on mastering the Pumpkin Spice Latte and share your creations by tagging us on Instagram! You can also check out the drink’s Instagram handle here